Tomorrow, I begin my senior year of college. Today, I’m sitting here wondering where on earth all that time went! God has blessed me with so many growing opportunities throughout the last three years, and as fun as it’s been, I’m so excited to be that much closer to graduating and being a nurse.
But before that begins, I needed a sewing break.
I’ve been wanting to put together a midi skirt for a while, and it took me a while to not be intimidated by working with a non-jersey fabric. My grandma bought me this amazing piece before I started my summer semester, and when I finished, it was a great opportunity to slow down and exercise some good ol’ fashioned treat yo’self.
Box pleats and invisible zippers can be a little intimidating for any novice sewer (I still need to work on zippers. A lot.), this tutorial is really clear cut and made it much simpler for me to test the waters. Here are a few things I need to remember for next time…
- Box pleats require buying at least two yards of fabric, especially for wider pleats
- You can never go wrong with investing in an invisible zipper foot
- READ THE INVISIBLE ZIPPER INSTRUCTIONS.
- Don’t cut said invisible zipper. Not even that “unnecessary extra lining” at the top.
- Make sure both sides of the fabric line up before installing the zipper.
Practice makes perfect, and I’m excited to give things another go in a later project. I’m also looking forward to crafting and creating more often once I’m done with school in less than 9 months!
Did I really just say that? There’s light at the end of the tunnel, y’all!! Cheers to senior year!
Thanks for learning with me!! 🙂