Happy Hump Day, friends!!
I’m taking a few moments today to share with you a miracle product that I have discovered within the last few months-Coconut Oil! It’s been life-changing in an I-can-afford-it-and-it-does-everything kind of way. Like, literally, everything. I don’t use near to the extent that I could. But today, I’m coming at you with 5 ways I use it and have really benefitted from! 🙂
Without further ado…
1. Oil Pulling- Let me tell you a secret: I HATE flossing my teeth. So, this little trick has helped my gums feel so much healthier. It’s basically using coconut oil as mouthwash. The health benefits are fantastic! Not only does it kill and clean bad mouth bacteria, but, like I mentioned up top, it is great for gum health. Another benefit that I’ve noticed is whiter teeth! I don’t know if it’s just me, but since I started swishing I definitely noticed that my teeth look nicer. On that note, DON’T swallow it. You’re cleaning out your mouth- you don’t wanna swallow all the bacteria you just gathered! I prefer to do my oil pulling in the shower, before I brush my teeth.
DIRECTIONS: Swish for 15-20 minutes a day, but I normally just swish for the duration of my shower. Use about two teaspoons, or whatever amount feels comfortable for you! I encourage you to experiment with it and try to keep on it as much as possible.
2. As a Facewash- I know. You read that and went, “Jessica, are you crazy? I’m not gonna wash my face with OIL!” But let me explain a few things. I felt the same way, but I gave the Oil Cleansing Method (or OCM) a try nonetheless. I was already breaking out a bunch- what harm could this possibly do? And it was literally the best thing I could have done for my face. My acne has cleared up considerably. It hydrates my eyes, so those awful under-eye I’m-an-OL-running-on-four-hours-of-sleep bags are nearly invisible. My skin is super soft! AND I’m saving money by not having to buy a facewash OR moisturizer! WHAAT?! The concept is like-dissolves-like, such as in chemistry. So, you’re using good oil to dissolve bad oils and other dirt. It’s a great makeup remover, too. (BAM. I just saved you like $15 there as well.)
DIRECTIONS: Gather about a tablespoon of oil, and rub it between your hands until it is no longer solidified. Then, massage into your face for about 1-2 minutes. I like to do this in the shower so that my pores are very open and the oil can penetrate deeper dirt.
***Side note: Much like makeup products, coconut oil will not benefit every skin type. This article is great for choosing the right oil for your skin type.
3. As a Deep Conditioner- One of the girls on the orientation staff has great, wavy hair. Like, the waves that are super hydrated and shiny all the time that people see in magazines and lust over. I had to ask her how she did it, and coconut oil is her big secret!
DIRECTIONS: To keep hair super moisturized, scoop up some coconut oil and run it through hair, then pull back and let sit for 30 minutes minimally, sometimes all day long!
4. As a Body Lotion- I personally have pretty dry skin (except for my face, which is why the OCM works for me). If you’re looking for a lotion that is SUPER inexpensive, and SUPER moisturizing, coconut oil is seriously the way to go!! It leaves me feeling super supple, and my skin doesn’t need lotion until after I shower THE NEXT DAY. It’s a miracle-worker, y’all!
DIRECTIONS: Use it after a shower before bedtime to give it a chance to really sink into the skin.
5. As a Supplement- A tablespoon of coconut oil a day has chains of good fat that the body can break down easily and use as a readily available energy source.
DIRECTIONS: Take a tablespoon a day! My favorite ways include dipping some M&Ms in it for a sweet snack (it tastes EXACTLY like an Almond Joy!) or smearing it on a slice of homemade whole-wheat zucchini bread. SO GOOD!!
Let me know if you try any of these, and how they work for you!! What ways do YOU like using coconut oil?